Thursday, October 15, 2015

John Lewis & "March"

Today, I had the great pleasure to attend a special assembly with Congressman John Lewis of Georgia, along with the co- writer and illustrator of Lewis' graphic novel "March"at Washburn University's Lee Arena.  I had learned that Congressman Lewis was in Topeka last night and spoke at Washburn's White Concert Hall and was disappointed that I was unable to attend.  To my great fortune and surprise; my building principal, Dr Beryl New, offered me an opportunity to not only attend the assembly but to photograph it as well!  As a long time student history, I've held a great fondness for members of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s. Their struggle and sacrifice paved the way for all Americans. Congressman Lewis is particularly interesting as he joined the ranks at a very early age, even speaking at the March on Washington at the young age of 23.  His message, along with the messages of Andrew Aydin ("March" co writer) and Nate Powell ("March" illustrator) were very uplifting and a compete joy to listen to.







 

0 comments:

Post a Comment